Submit sitemaps to help search engines search about pages on your sites. SEO helps grow business and website traffic but sitemap makes site searchable on search engines and thus complement results. Sitemap is an XML file which stores links to all your pages, blogs, images and all contents of your website that are available for crawling. It is an easy way to help robots to crawl all listed web-pages and index them within search engine.
Google Search Console or Google Webmaster is a free service offered by Google that helps you monitor, maintain and troubleshoot your site’s presence in Google Search results. It helps you understand and improve how Google sees your site. Submitting Sitemap is what makes your site and its content searchable on Google. Below are the point-wise steps on how to submit sitemaps in Google Webmaster or Search console.
- Open Google Webmaster or Search Console.
- Click on Sign in.
- Login to your Webmaster login.
- Go to Sitemap.
- Open a new tab and type in your domain name. Append
- “sitemap_index.xml”: if your site is made in wordpress and Yoast SEO is installed as a plugin. Yoast SEO helps create sitemap file for the site.
- “sitemap.xml”: if your site is made through an shopify site.
WordPress site: https://www.domainname.com/sitemap_index.xml
Shopify site: https://www.domainname.com/sitemap.xml”
- You will get a sitemap xml file displayed in your browser.
- Paste “sitemap_index.xml” for the wordpress site or “sitemap.xml” for the shopify site against the domainname in search console ( “Enter Sitemap URL”)
- Click on submit.
- Search console would show success in setting up of sitemap within few minutes.